Peter,

I am well aware of the story!  However, there is "research" of sorts into serif
vs sanserif.  Not sure I go along with the weird attacks on CS though.

http://typoface.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/academic-base.html

I use Caecilia LT  for most stuff I write.   Anyway Daniels' simple "iconic"
suggestion works a treat.

Bill