hi Regi got a13 inch Air for the Grumpy camping trips.But my boss can
pay for my work machine, especially as i do the school magazine
etc cheersrod

----- Original Message -----
From: wamug@wamug.org.au
Sent:Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:26:03 +0800
Subject:Re: new macbook pros

 Hey Rod, don't forget you can salary sacrifice this and save your tax
$$ so you can option up or save money for the next grumpy trip.

 Reg

 Reg Whitely

 Home: 08 9921 7272
 Mob: 04 8899 7313
 Email: rwhit...@internode.on.net

 On 13/06/2012, at 7:35 pm, rb...@iinet.net.au wrote:

 > Thank you Daniel, Carlo and PedroI appreciate your in depth
 > knowledge.I guess doing the school magazine in In Design and
managing
 > my photos in Aperture are my priorities.Have been chugging away on
3.5
 > yr old macbook pro, so any new one will be good.I think 15 inch
screen
 > will be helpful and then because I am a hoarding untidy slob -
lots'
 > of hard disk space is important.And cos I have half a conscience I
am
 > mindful that my school is paying for it.Baring all that in mind at
 > this stage I am thinking of the 15inch 2.6gh without R Display with
 > 1TB HD and 8 gb ram.
 > cheers guysblitto

The
 > new Retina MBP is truly a technical marvel. To quote again "it is
the
 > best computer Apple has ever produced".
 >
 > Just the display is worth the price of entry. :-)
 >
 > Some caveats. Because it is so new, I would probably wait a month
or
 > so to see if there are any problems with the graphics card or the
 > circuitry to iron out. Highly unlikely with Apple's testing and Tim
 > Cook wanting to appear competent but it is still a possibility. It
did
 > occur to me also that one may not be able to expand the new MBP as
in
 > the case of the MacBook Air but I am not sure that will be the
case.
 > For the MacBook Air they have that restriction in place because of
the
 > nature of the case -- it give advantages in strength and makes it
more
 > watertight. If that were the case with the new Retina MBP I would
be
 > tempted to buy the highest spec one I could afford from the get go.
 > True you would not be able to upgrade it, but as a trade off the
unit
 > would be stronger -- time will tell on this point.
 >
 > Regards,
 > Carlo
 >
 > On 13/06/2012, at 10:39 , Daniel Kerr wrote:
 >
 >> Hi Carlo
 >>
 >> Yes, had all those points.
 >> Just to add to yours those. I don't "really" have to lose the
 > Optical drive if I fit an SSD drive. I already have an SSD drive in
 > this laptop. (I removed my 750GB 7200rpm drive and put in a Series6
 > SSD 256GB Drive. So I still get to keep my Optical drive and have
the
 > speed performance of the SSD. So I could do the same with the new
one.
 > Just swap over the drive.) I then get both SSD and Optical still
:o)
 >> Yes, do have to carry run lots of cables. I was doing all that
 > before anyway. Plus I always have in my pocket a Firewire800/400
 > adapter. It just clips to the end of a FW400 cable. So even if I
have
 > no cables, I still have the adapter. Plus it's lighter. Mind you my
 > pocket carries 2 flash drives, that adapter and a pocket
knife,…lol.
 >> And I already carry three external drives as well (2 Firewire/USB
 > multiport drives and 1 USB bootable drive). They have a stack of
what
 > I need on them. So I can keep my SSD pretty lean anyway. I actually
 > only run on about 100GB at most on the SSD. So plenty of room to
work
 > with. :o)
 >> I think the ports work out about the same kinda. Cause if you had
 > the MBP-RD and needed to be on Ethernet, using Firewire then you're
 > out of pots on the MBP-RD but you still have the Thunderbolt free
on
 > the "standard" MBP. :o)
 >>
 >> The top MBP and entry level MBP-RD work out the same price (RRP
 > $2499), so I was basing it on that. But yes, as you add more RAM
and
 > drives versus adapters, then the pricing changes quite a bit. So
the
 > old MBP would work out more expensive.
 >>
 >> But yes, there are lots of good reasons for both. It just comes
 > down to what the person wants to do with it.
 >> It's a bit like the argument to go with a 256GB SSD versus the
 > 500GB SSD. (Or flash drive). Is it with the $600 odd on various
 > machines. Or can you lean out what you store on the machine and
keep
 > an external USB drive with you. (Or at home). Some will see the
value
 > that extra storage space will be to have it internally and $600
will
 > be fine. Others will take the 256GB SSD and buy a 500GB USB drive
 > (which is about $100-$150 depending on brands etc). It's perception
of
 > value versus useful versus budget.
 >>
 >> That was another thing with the new MBP-RD. You can't "add" to it
 > if you have. Budget restrictions mean you can buy a standard MBP
and
 > then down the track add in more RAM later (take it from 8GB to
16GB)
 > and as pricing comes down take out the normal drive and add in an
SSD
 > of your choice at a later date. I could be wrong, but I think you
have
 > to make all those choices with the MBP-RD at the start as you can't
 > modify it later on. I haven't looked at that point with detail, so
as
 > mentioned could be wrong, but was just something i had thought of
last
 > night after my other post,..lol
 >>
 >> Still though, I'm still un-decided on both,…lol. :o) I think
 > they're both great machines, I can just see some of the
 > advantages/disadvatages to both :o) And that may be the same for
other
 > people looking at both machines as well.
 >> Some will suit one person, some will suit others. That's the
nature
 > of the beast.
 >> But hey, if we had little choice and only had one, there would
 > still be lots to decide! lol ;))
 >>
 >> Enjoy!
 >>
 >> Kind regards
 >> Daniel
 >>
 >> Sent from my iPhone 4s
 >>
 >> ---
 >> Daniel Kerr
 >> MacWizardry
 >>
 >> Phone: 0414 795 960
 >> Email:
 >> Web:
 >>

 >> **For everything Apple**
 >>
 >> On 12/06/2012, at 11:57 PM, cm wrote:
 >>
 >>> Hi Daniel,
 >>>
 >>> The rarefied field of the computer service person is not for
 > everyone. I also operate in the field and have a kit of accessories
 > that I bring along, but I would point out that the older MBP is not
 > that far ahead even for this purpose. The kit of accessories for
 > either MBP still requires that you bring an assortment of cables,
 > thumb-drive, and one or more external hard-drives.
 >>>
 >>> Here are some points to note.
 >>>
 >>> * If weight is your concern the Retina MBP starts out life a full
 > half a kilo (one pound imperial) lighter than the older MBP!
 >>> * The old MBP does not have that many extra ports. It has one
 > fewer thunderbolt port and it lacks the HDMI port of the Retina
MBP.
 > The only extra ports are Firewire 800 and ethernet. These are
 > available to the Retina MBP via thunderbolt adaptors.
 >>> * A big advantage of flash drives over mechanical ones is that
 > they are physically more robust and thus less prone to damage by
rough
 > handling or dropping.
 >>> * Flash drives are, of course, much faster and boot up more
 > quickly.
 >>> * If, as you suggest, you fit an SSD drive in an old style MBP
 > then you lose the optical drive.
 >>> * Even with the Firewire 800 port you still have to remember to
 > bring along the two styles of firewire cable if you want to be
 > prepared for all contingencies.
 >>>
 >>> The only real inarguable advantage of the old style MBP is that
 > they are cheaper, but as the price of flash drives come down that
 > advantage will likely evaporate too.
 >>>
 >>> Regards,
 >>> Carlo

 > are good and bad to both of them. Again, it depends on your
"primary"
 > usage. And what you don't mind "losing" to "gain".
 > (MBP-RD) actually have the same Graphics card pretty much. (I'm
 > comparing both $2499 models).
 > 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching. So
 > that part is the same on both models.
 > 16GB RAM as well.
 > go to 8GB RAM,..and I'm running it with 16GB PC10600 1333MHz RAM.
And
 > it runs fine.) So I'd say people will find that can be bumped up as
 > well.

 > 2.6GHz versus 2.3GHz. But how much of a difference this is in real
 > world speeds, would depend on the task.
 > Storage built in would make data access a lot faster. Whereas it
would
 > cost $480 to add a 256MB SSD drive to the "standard" MacBookPro. So
 > data access would be a win there. (And I'm not to sure how much of
 > difference Flash Storage versus SSD in "real world tests" accounts
 > for…that and my brain is in almost sleep mode to go look it
 > up,…lol).

 > some people that are moving around a lot, and depending on the
field
 > they're in, they still want "quick access" to things like Firewire,
 > Ethernet, Optical Drive. (yes, I know this doesn't affect everyone
and
 > it comes down to their "use of the laptop", and that you can hang
off
 > adapters of the MBP-RD, but at the end of the day, it's ease of use
 > and quick access. Do you want to carry around a Thunderbolt to
 > Firewire800 adapter, a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, a
Thunderbolt
 > Optical Drive. Sure, not everyone has use for these things. But
again,
 > in some circumstances some people do. On the read of various forums
 > lot of mobile editors and tech support people do still want these
 > things. They (we?) carry enough stuff around in our bag without
adding
 > to it. And if you leave it behind or it "drops off" during a
transfer,
 > you've wasted time. (And time is money as they say,…lol). "Oh
sorry,
 > I can't access your Firewire drive today, I left my Thunderbolt to
 > Firewire800 adapter with my last client. I'll have to come back").
 > Again, this won't affect everyone,….I'll just trying to point out
 > both sides of the coin.

 > know I've looked at which model I'd like. And I think I'll need to
sit
 > down and weigh up the pros and cons of both. And what is it exactly
 > want out of the laptop. What features are the "must have" and what
 > features are the "can work around or live with". Is the Retina
Display
 > going to be "huge" in the type of work I do, versus the (sometimes)
 > need for "legacy items" in the type of work I do. (How much more
 > weight can my back support in all the extras I have to or need to
 > carry around,…lol).

 > new MBP-RD looks to be a great machine, and will only get better
from
 > there I'm sure. But it's what tool is the best for the job…..
:)

http://www.cultofmac.com/172812/should-you-get-the-new-macbook-pro-probably-not-heres-why/

 > pros -
 > purchase?And