Hi Ronni, thanks for the reply.  The answer was almost what I wanted. I really
wanted to leave the photo's on the MPB and not create another duplicate set on
the iMac, but it seems as if I cant do that so I followed your instructions and
they did work.

Although I had to do it in four stages as there were just under 1200 photo's
and each time the import count neared 400 the beachball of death would appear
and I had to do force quit and restart, find where it was up to last time and
then after the second stall, I worked out it could only handle the 400, I had
to find the last photo that it imported then select the next one and guess
about 400 on and start the procedure again.

One thing I did notice though was that it did not bring with the import the
Added descriptions and the Places I had spent hours logging and it dropped
about 100 photo's overall.

I am still working through the Added Descriptions and Places on the originals,
50% through, can I do this by connecting it up with a firewire or USB? So as it
wont drop out, when I have another go at syncing at a later date?

Thanks again

Matt