Hey Ronni

Thanks so much for your step by step approach, I have successfully transfered
the music from my laptop over to Caths.

That was the good news.

I connected Cath's phone to her laptop using the docking cable with iTunes 9.2
open. Nothing happened! The phone did not show up. I tried several times.

I then connected it to my laptop (iTunes 10.6.3) and the phone did show up and
a 'Lets get started' screen asking to register the phone and set up an itunes
account.

I cancelled and thought I had better check with you to see if I need to do
something on Cath's laptop to get it to recognise the iphone?

Best regards and many thanks

Chris