Hi Ronni

Your response is appreciated and I can make sense of most of it.

I'm still uncertain about the following.

1.  Leaving iMac powered on (as a server, with just the display turned off)
makes sense as one solution to giving Apple TV access at any time.  But why
won't it wake the Mac from sleep on demand?  Is the Apple TV (WiFi or Ethernet)
a "Bonjour registered service" as defined in HT3774?   Is an ATV just not
capable of waking the Mac anyway?

> I thought Bonjour etc was supposed to allow network connection when system
> was "fully" asleep.

Yes, it should, especially as you have the iMac wired 'Ethernet', not wireless.
 WiFi 'wake for network access' only works with Apple's own WiFi routers as
mentioned above.

2. Can you clarify "sleep" for me?   I am not a "casual" Mac user, I am a very
"serious" user.   But the Mac gets very light work and spends most of its time
idle and, perhaps, sleeping.  My practice has been to just walk away from the
Mac and let it go to sleep automatically.   I very rarely use Apple > Sleep to
invoke immediate sleep.    I assume that "display sleep" and "computer sleep"
in Energy preferences are just different power levels of the "sleep" setting.
I further assume with just the display turned off (ctrl-shift-eject) the Mac is
NOT in sleep mode.  If I set the Energy preferences display sleep to "30
minutes"  and computer sleep to "never", is this essentially the same as
"server mode" using ctrl-shift-eject?

Cheers
Alan