On 05/09/2013, at 11:52 AM, Diana & Graham Stevens <diag...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to put some family photo scans on a USB Flash Drive to be used on an
> unspecified computer (almost certainly a PC). The original files are in
> Photoshop CS on my old G4 (OS 10.3).
>
> I shall send the PSDs plus another more universal format. Should I choose JPG
> or PDF? If I choose PDF should I use JPG or ZIP encoding?
>
> I would appreciate any advice the list can give, I have a distrust of PDFs
> but there may be a good reason for selecting this option.
>
> Best wishes to all from Diana

JPG is probably the most "universal" format and is perhaps the most highly
recommended. Personally I would opt for PNG, but there is no guarantee that you
recipient's software will properly support it (although they should have no
problem if their computer is running all the recent updates). Just be aware
that both FPG and PNG (and for that matter PDF) all use varying degrees of
compression and are therefore "lossy" formats. The problem here is that with
every load and save operation, a little more information is lost, resulting in
a significant loss in quality over time.

If you want them to get the highest possible quality, either send the original
PSD files (again, this will depend on their ability to read the files) or TIFF
(Tagged Image File Format), which almost anything can read. Of course, the
downside is that the file sizes will be much larger, so you will fit fewer on
your Flash Drive.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948