On 15/10/2013, at 2:03 PM, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

>> On 15 Oct 2013, at 12:28 pm, Neil Houghton <n...@possumology.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, Ronni, you DID say you were curious ;o)
>>
>> For myself, I'm happy that it all seems to be working OK and don't really
>> want to spend any more time on it - though that may, of course change if
>> further problems arise.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and interest Ronni - and I'm with you - always
>> stay curious - there's so much to learn ;o))
>
> Thanks Neil for 'doing the exercise' and supplying the information and log
> files.
> When I find some time I will study the logs and info more thoroughly.
> Something is going on with your system, but as you mention if you are not
> experiencing any problems I guess it is not all that important ... At this
> moment!!
>
> I am curious as to why you are getting all these messages in console, so I
> will give it more thought (when time permits) and if I come up with 'the
> WHY'... I will let you know ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4

Hi Neil,

When I read your first posting to the mailing list; the Console Log messages
that jumped out at me were these messages:
1)  14/10/13 12:14:32    com.apple.usbmuxd[11654]
LOCKDOWN_V2_BONJOUR_SERVICE_NAME is _apple-mobdev2._tcp,930d07f5

2) 14/10/13 12:16:43    mDNSResponder[18]    Client application bug:
DNSServiceResolve(53F5FEFC2612ED6D._appletv-v2._tcp.local.) active for over
two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.

I thought at the time... "ah perhaps a Bonjour issue"? iTunes uses Bonjour (as
well as other Bonjour-compatible devices and services).

Now after reading your last message to the mailing list and thoroughly going
through your "full unfiltered console log" and noticing the "mDNSResponder[18]
 ERROR messages

15/10/13 11:57:51    mDNSResponder[18]    ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad
interfaceIndex 1   - down to 24

I'm pretty certain that my original assumption was correct and Bonjour is
involved.
My reasoning for coming to this conclusion is:
The process that makes Bonjour work is mDNSResponder, located in /usr/sbin.
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist invokes
mDNSResponder on boot.

NOTE: I don't want you deleting the .plist above I only mentioned where it is
located ;-)

What I would suggest you do is Reset / Clear the DNS cache.
OS X keeps a local cache of resolved DNS queries for a time defined by the DNS
server, but sometimes it may be necessary to reset the cache.

In Lion & Mountain Lion, Apple has changed the caching routines done by the
mDNSResponder process (the core process responsible for DNS resolution) so they
are kept in memory by the process as long as it maintains a connection to the
DNS network.
Therefore, to clear the cache, you just need to send the mDNSResponder process
a hang-up command to have it reinitialise its configuration without being fully
shut down and restarted.

To do this, you can run the following command in the Terminal:

 sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Note the dscacheutil still exists in 10.7 and 10.8, but the official method to
clear out DNS caches is through killing mDNSResponder.

OR - you can use Activity Monitor - In addition to the killall command in the
Terminal, you can also do this in Activity Monitor by the following process:

1.  Open Activity Monitor (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder).
2.  In the main Activity Monitor window is not present, press Command-1 to show
it.
3.  Locate and select the mDNSResponder process (you can search for it to make
this easier).
4.  Choose Send Signal To Process from the View menu.
5.  Select Hangup (SIGHUP) from the menu that appears (it should be the first
option that is already selected).
6.  Click the Send button.
When you do this, you may see another mDNSResponder process appear for a few
seconds in Activity Monitor as the system reinitialises the process, and once
this disappears, the DNS cache should be cleared.

That's it!
... for today anyway ;-)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)