On 9 Jan 2014, at 8:02 pm, Ken Jackson <kenjackson7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> so what would you suggest Peter?

Follow these steps:

1. Open your ~/Music Folder in Finder. Look for your iTunes folder
2. Enter Time Machine, either from the Dock Icon, the /Applications folder or
the Time Machine item in the Menu Bar (if you have it enabled)
3. Time Machine will start, showing your iTunes folder contents "stretching
back" into the past.
4. Choose an appropriate from the time scale at the right of the screen. This
would be a date which would be a day or two before the disaster struck.
5. Click the "Restore" button at the lower right of the screen.

This will give you back a known good iTunes folder (minus anything you might
have added since the disaster, of course, but I'm assuming this hasn't
happened). As I said previously, this is the first stage of troubleshooting. If
all goes well following the restore, then fine. If the problem persists, then
we have something more sinister going in. It seems most likely, though, that
something has happened to the .xml file which track your library's contents.
This could be due to some sort of corruption within the file itself, or because
of some structural change to the iTunes folder contents themselves.  This is
why I recommend restoring the entire folder, rather than just the .xml file.

Be aware, too, that depending on the size of your iTunes library, the Restore
process could take some time.

This is certainly the approach I would be taking if it were my system.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948