Hi Graham,

The WAMUG Mailing List condones attachments being sent in messages :(

Comments in Situ below.

> On 2 Nov 2014, at 3:36 pm, Graham Rabe <gra...@rabe.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronni,
>
> Attached are two screen shots of what I have on both Macs in System
> Preferences > Sharing
>
> The missing word in the MBA is “public” and on the iMac the word before
> “folder” is again Public

That's correct the Public Folder is shared on both MBA & iMac and you have
added Music folder to shared on MBA
You use the + to add other folders to share...

<http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18697>

> I have “Allow me to be discovered by” on the iMac Airdrop window but that’s
> not there on the MBA.

BUT What do you have selected beside "Allow me to be discovered by" menu?: The
choices are; 'No One' - 'Contacts Only' - 'Everyone' ??

> On MBA at the bottom of the Airdrop screen is “Airdrop lets you share
> instantly with people nearby. To share with someone using a Mac, ask them to
> go to Airdrop in the Finder”.

In Finder Window - Open AirDrop on both the iMac & MBA  and then check what you
have selected beside "Allow me to be discovered by" Menu

Did you read the link I sent previously explaining Sending & Receiving Files
using AirDrop in Yosemite?
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6510>

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage