Hi Alan,

Yes, I wanted your to Reset the PRAM and then follow my original instructions
of  reinstalling Mavericks.
I thought my intentions were always clear from the start, and my instructions
were clear - My intentions were to get your 2009 iMac working correctly again
;-))

Don't connect the external drives until you are absolutely sure everything is
working as it should.
If it is, do a bootable backup, so you then have a current  backup to fall back
on if the external drives cause problems again.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4