Another thing Alan I forgot to mention earlier.

I would not really trust the 2009 Hard Drive so keep regular bootable backups.
Also I suggest you don't Shutdown the iMac all the time like you do, just let
it sleep.
You can put it to sleep manually when ever you want.

When you shutdown and startup your computer, the Hard Drive and other
components get more wear and tear, and use more energy.

I recommend all Mac users to sleep their computers unless they won't be used
for more than a few days, and all Mac users should shutdown their computers at
least once a month to clean out all the 'junk' that collects inside the
components.

Shutting down a computer wipes away the computer's RAM, which might have some
corrupt/junk data left in it from various things the computer does. It also
lets the computer's components cool down.

The best advantage of 'sleeping' is that the computer (a) goes to sleep almost
immediately, allowing quick transport of a laptop, and no vigilance after
'clicking shutdown'... on a desktop, and (b) wakes up almost immediately,
allowing you to get back to work right away.

I rarely shut down my computers.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4