Thank you for your detailed response, Ronnie.
Support pages weren't as helpful as this!

Brian
Sent from my iPhone6 Plus
iOS 8.4🏊🏻

On 27 Jul 2015, at 15:19, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2015, at 9:53 pm, Brian Risbey <risb...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to transfer some non-iTunes tracks purchased online for
> elsewhere, weren’t on iTunes ;-(.
> but how to do this.
> They are on my laptop, they show up in iTunes with the crossed-out-cloud icon.
> with the iPhone plugged in via usb and showing in iTunes I can’t click and
> drag, can’t use add to phone,
> manage music manually seems to have gone, probably as I work through the
> cloud…
>
> Can it be done?

Hi Brian,

In iTunes - File > 'Add to Library' and add the music tracks to the iTunes
Library.
Then in iTunes create a New Playlist and add the tracks you want to transfer.

1. Open iTunes and select the tracks
2. File > New - 'Playlist from selection'
3. Connect your iPhone to iTunes via USB cable, then select iPhone in the
navigation bar
4. Then in the Sidebar click Music and in the Sync Music - check 'Selected
playlists, artists, albums, and genres
4. Select/ tick the New Playlist that you want on the iPhone
5.    Click 'Sync'
----
When you sync an iOS device with your iTunes Library, you can tell it what
content to transfer in two ways that are manual and in one way that is
automatic.
The two manual options appear on the Summary pane, a little way down in the
Options section.
Sync only checked songs and videos - if you've selected this box, iTunes will
copy only those items whose little checkboxes are checked.
Manually manage music and videos - this method is time consuming but may be a
good choice if you don't want to worry about syncing automatically and prefer
just to drag what you want to your device.
If you select this option, then music and videos will copy to your iOS device
ONLY if you drag them to its list of contents.
To add items:
1. Use the Devices button in the Navigation bar to select your device. In the
'On My Device' section in the sidebar, you see a list of the libraries and
playlists on the device.

2. Click a Library listed under 'On My Device' and then click the 'Add To'
button near the top-right of the window. iTunes switches the window around,
showing your iTunes Library content at the left and the contents of your device
at the right.
Notice the name of the device below the right-hand list, along with the amount
of free space available.

3. Drag any items from the left to the right-hand list
4. When you've finished adding content, click Done

To delete items:
1. With the device selected in the navigation bar, in the 'On My Device'
section of the sidebar, click a Library.
2. Select any files you want to remove. You can even select all files in a
category.
3. Press the Delete key.

Note: There's one downside to manual syncing : play counts and last played
dates don't get synced back to your Mac. So you won't be able to use this
metadata to generate smart playlists.

Automatic Syncing lets you choose from a number of ways to sync content.
If you choose a device, click 'Music' in the sidebar, and then select the 'Sync
Music' checkbox (located near the upper left), you can then select a radio
button to sync your "Entire music library", or "Selected playlists, artists,
albums, and genres"

Then you can make your sync selections in Podcasts  - Books etc.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4