> On 2 Oct 2015, at 12:56 pm, Philippe Chaperon <laut...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian, Peter and All,
>
> Many thanks again for the valuable information. My iMac has been updated and
> needed a couple of restarts. I have checked MS Office 2011 and Excel is
> working correctly.
>
> One thing which happened thought is that the cooling fan of the iMac, which
> after a year of usage had never been heard, was working at its maximum speed
> although the internal temperatures were will within norms, and no
> applications hoarding the CPU. I tried restarting the machine with no luck
> and finally had to resort to a Reset of the SMC which solved the problem.
>
> Thanks to both for the Disk utility info re loss of verify and repair
> permissions. I guess this is good news?
>
> I’ll wait for some time before upgrading my main iMac on which I have some
> applications running constantly - Seti@home, AstroPulse and Rosetta. I am a
> bit apprehensive mainly for Parallels and VM Ware Fusion as I do not know how
> they will perform. Before taking the plunge I will update my full back-up and
> an external disc, using my trusty SuperDuper, just in case!
>
> Have a wonderful afternoon and a very safe week-end.
>
> Kind regards dear WAMUG’ers,
>
> Philippe C.

There are some important applications which have been affected by the upgrade,
two of which are preventing me from moving to El Capitan fulltime. One is
Microsoft Office 2016, which I’ve recently purchased, and the other is
Filemaker Pro 14, upon which I depend to make a living. Both products have been
pinpointed as being unstable in El Capitan. The Filemaker fix is projected for
later this month, and I have no idea when the Office fix will arrive. I can get
by with Office 2011, but the Filemaker 14 issues is a deal breaker for me. I
have El Capitan installed on an external drive so I can become familiar with
it, but I’ll just need to patient until Filemaker gets their act together.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948