Ronni,

I went through the select and deselect  in iCloud.  The results:-

If selected I do see my contacts

If NOT selected I do not see my contacts

I checked again with Time machine - Contacts is not there in the recent back
ups.

I think the best way might be re-build Contacts with iCloud deselected. (so far
that works nicely)

I only use iCloud for “Find my Phone”  and “Calendar" anyway.

Bill