Hi all, I did eventually get this resolved. I had to take the plunge and update
my Apple ID password - ugghhh. Anyway, it was relatively simple and without
complications. As soon as I made the change - all my kids came to me holding
their respective devices saying “Dad, I have to update the password, what do I
do”! This was expected and simply resolved by entering the password. It happens
a few times on each device for various reasons, app purchasing, Find my iPhone
and some other things too much to remember.

However, I still have my entire family (13 devices in aggregate) with one
AppleID which causes a level of workarounds with some iOS features to avoid
overlap of data.

I am still wondering if I should take the plunge to move the other 4 family
members to their own Apple ID - and set them up as Family Shared members under
me as the Organiser.

Has anyone got any first hand advice on this question and any reason why I
should or should not migrate to a Family Shared environment?

Peter Crisp
petercr...@westnet.com.au

> [...]
>>> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-friends/id466122094?mt=8>app, so
>>> you can find out where each family member is (or, to be more accurate,
>>> where each person’s primary iOS device is).
>>>
>>> Family Sharing requires Yosemite or iOS 8, so use it only if all your
>>> family’s devices are running the latest versions of their respective
>>> operating systems.
>>> If your family fits that profile, here’s what you’ll get for up to six
>>> family members:
>>>
>>> • All family members’ purchases of media from Apple are charged to the
>>> credit card of the person you designate as the family organizer. (Family
>>> members who have enough credit in their own Apple ID accounts can use that
>>> credit to buy something without using the shared card.)
>>>
>>> • Kids (who can get special Apple IDs of their own even if they’re under
>>> 13) can request media purchases from a parent, who must approve each one
>>> individually.
>>>
>>> (Kids under 13 can have their own Apple IDs
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201084>.  As a parent or legal guardian,
>>> the organizer creates the child’s Apple ID You’ll have to select an iCloud
>>> username for your child (which will become the child’s Apple ID) and adds
>>> the child to the family group.
>>> Ask to Buy is turned on by default, and the organizer can also limit the
>>> content kids have access to on their devices through Restrictions on an iOS
>>> device or parental controls in OS X and iTunes.)
>>>
>>> • All family members can access each others’ media, although you can hide
>>> particular items of your own that you don’t want to share.
>>>
>>> • A shared family photo album, calendar, and reminder list are created.
>>>
>>> • Family members can more easily share their locations (with Find My
>>> Friends) and locate their devices (with Find My Device).
>>>
>>> Details and instructions how to setup Family Sharing at this link:
>>> <http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/
>>> <http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/>>
>>
>> Thanks for the links on Family Sharing - I will review all of them. This
>> looks to be something I could do sometime. However, for what specific reason
>> should I change to a Family Sharing environment as opposed to staying with
>> an all-users-to-one Apple ID. It has worked fine for many years. Whilst the
>> Apple literature now says you shouldn’t have anyone but yourself on one
>> Apple ID, it doesn’t mandate that you can’t have your entire family on one
>> Apple ID - as it was in the early years necessarily so that you had no
>> choice if you wanted to have your family see your stuff and not have to buy
>> apps multiple times for one family - before Family Sharing became an option.
>> Is the migration to Family Sharing for the 4 other family members with the
>> aggregate 10 devices a seamless, no data lost exercise? It will be no small
>> undertaking to get all apps with their respective Apple ID embedment and
>> iTunes on MacBooks all converted over and for it not to go belly up at some

>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM