Hi Stephen,

Not sure which device you actually used to set-up your wireless ā€“ the modem
or the Time Capsule ā€“ often with this set-up people turn off the wireless on
the modem and use the time capsule to set-up the wireless network.

In my case here, the modem actually sets up two different wireless networks,
with slightly different network names, one on the 2.4GHz frequency and one
on the 5GHz frequency. The modem makes both networks available but, when you
connect your wireless device, you have to choose which network to join.

The situation you describe sounds different ā€“ the equipment setting up one
wireless network but utilising whichever frequency it thinks best to
transmit/receive network traffic between devices.

Iā€™m guessing that this is an Apple airport feature and that you had your
wireless network set-up by your Time Capsule (or other Apple device like an
Airport Extreme)?

Cheers

Neil
--