> On 5 Jan 2018, at 1:49 pm, Michael Hawkins <michael.hawk...@mjhawkins.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I found my missing iPhone SE in a storage locker which is below ground level
> in a three story concrete building a tad over 4km away from where Apple’s
> find my iphone app reported the phone to be. As you may recall, the app
> identified the middle of the neighbour’s lawn as being where the phone was. I
> had never set foot on the property until I went looking for the phone, so do
> not understand why the app said it was there. And given that I have the keys
> to the storage locker, the phone can not have been left there by anybody
> other than me.

Hello Michael,

Location is determined by a number of factors, one of which is Cell tower
triangulation.
Depending on landscape, building materials, etc. the triangulation may not be
entirely accurate and can sometimes be off by many kilometres .
Another factor is proximity to known WiFi networks. Since the database of WiFi
networks is not updated in real-time, this can also often be incorrect.

Depending on your device and available services, Location Services uses a
combination of cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to determine your location.
If you're not within a clear line of sight to GPS satellites, your device can
determine your location using crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cell tower locations or
iBeacons.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2