I cannot transfer photos from a 2017 Samsung Galaxy A7 mobile phone to my late
2012 iMac.  This is the first attempt at downloading, so I don’t know if it is
High Sierra thing.

Any ideas for resolving the problem?

The Galaxy A7 has not got a SIM card and has only been used as a camera in
recent months. Most phone “features" have been turned off.

I’ve installed Android File Transfer (AFT) app vers 1.0.11 (64 bit) but get the
message “Could not connect to device”.  This app is suggested in the Apple
Support KB article HT205063 which provides a link to the Android website for
downloading.

The Samsung website recommendation is to use either the AFT app or Samsung
Smart Switch.  I downloaded the SSS app vers 4.1.1 but macOS gives an alert
that the app is “not optimised”.  This app is 32 bit and didn’t work either.

Cheers
Alan

iMac 13,2 (27 inch, late 2012), macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.