Hi Pete

I think the easiest way would be to do a complete migration and sort out SMC
Fan Control later.

SMC Fan Control has been around for a few years and is not malware.  In between
shopping for a MBA you could investigate how to remove all traces of it.
Apple support discussion guide is simple: trash the app then reset the SMC!

To be really really sure, the more difficult way would be a complete fresh
installation. Install macOS, download wanted apps then copy required data.

To verify HDD contents would be tedious. Can you make a bootable of clone the
HDD?  You could then start up from the clone in another Mac and check where the
fan control files are.

Cheers
Alan