Hi Peter,

If you can get rid of SMCfanControl first on Tim’s MBP before doing a Migration
from old MBP to New MBP/MBA I feel it would be safer.
I’ve given as much detail as I can below on where you will find all the
associated files SMCfanControl installs across the System.
----
How to completely uninstall SMCfanControl & all supportive files, cache files &
other associated items created during the setup and daily usage

After you delete this app from sight, its icon may still stay on the menu bar
and your fan speed is still under the control of this app.
So to fully uninstall smcFanControl for Mac and restore the default fan rpm?

Prior to the uninstall, you are supposed to restore the Apple defaults of fan
speed, and then deactivate the app.

1. Click on smcFanControl icon on the menu bar, and choose Active Setting: >
Default.
2. Quit smcFanControl in the menu bar.
Besides, you can launch Activity Monitor to check if it is running on the
background.
Open up Activity Monitor from the Dock, Launchpad, or Spotlight.
Select target process, and click the “Quit Process” button in the upper left
corner.
3. Open Finder, select Applications in the sidebar and delete/drag
smcFanControl to the Trash
or control-click on the app & click ’Move To Trash
(In your case Peter I think you said it is in the Downloads folder)

Delete smcFanControl Leftovers

1.Open the Finder, click Go in the Menu bar, and select the option Go to Folder…
2.Type the path of User Library inside Home Folder: ~/Library and then hit
Enter key.
3.Type smcFanControl in the search bar, select Library, and delete matched
items in the result.

4. Type the path of the current user’s Library Folder: /Library, and then hit
Enter key.
5. Search for the associated items in the following locations: /Library,
/Library/Caches, /Library/Preferences, /Library/Application Support,
/Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/PreferencePanes,
/Library/StartupItems
Control-click the matched files or folders, and select Move to Trash option.

6. EMPTY THE TRASH

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4