What is the best way to migrate complete data and settings from an unreliable
2012 MacBook Air to a still-in-the-box 2018 Mac mini?  Both macs have internal
256 GB SSD.  There are Time Machine and Super Duper backups.  I will be the
technical assistant for my brother in law who owns the macs.

I proposed to use Migration Assistant from Time Machine but this has a
complication. The MBA has a 1TB external data drive using symbolic links. Time
Machine includes the data drive in its backups to two disks, internal and
external on Time Capsule.

Can Migration Assistant use Time Machine in this case?  If expedient the
external TM backup disk can be removed and a new backup made of just the MBA
SSD on the TC internal disk.

The MBA has bad days when it fails then restarts several times. This has been
happening for some months.  A direct migration from MBA to Mini would not seem
to be feasible.

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards
Alan