Thanks for your thoughts Peter (C)

Current idea is now to remove the data drive via Time Machine preferences and
run a few days of plain MBA SSD backups.  The HOPE is that Migration Assistant
would allow a TM backup from a specified date and therefore copy just the
latest 150GB or whatever.   May even try adding a third TM backup drive to
create a “pure” SSD source for initial migration with a short date range, while
the other TM drives are temporarily removed. Then, as Peter (H) said, try it!

Cheers
Alan