Hi Juliet,

If you are able to follow these instructions to put your iPhone 5S into
recovery mode
Then DON’T erase your Data but click on UPDATE

 Step 4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update.
Your computer will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than
15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps
2 and 3.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201412

Kind Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB