Hi Peter,

I must admit that, like you, I stayed away from subscription software until
very recently – I just wanted a one-off purchase that I could use until it
either stopped working or a new version had a “must-have” feature – and I think
Apple introducing Time Machine was the last time I thought a new feature was
must-have  ;o)

However when I recently, finally, moved up from Snow Leopard I had to say
goodbye to Office 2004!

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I finally bit the bullet and went to
Office 365 and, I must admit, I am actually glad I did – although I do renew
every year by buying Office 365 from Officeworks (and just applying this to my
existing account) which is always cheaper than MS auto-renew price. I guess
there are a few factors for me:

I use a LOT of Excel spreadsheets/workbooks and I really want/need to stick
with Excel rather than any spreadsheet alternative.
Georgina is on the Albany Hospice board and still has to collaboratively deal
with Word documents.
One subscription covers both Georgina and myself and we each get our 1TB
OneDrive storage included
With just one subscription, It all integrates well between several computers,
iPads etc
I don’t have to worry about whether I need to buy new updates – they are
included with the subscription
Being retired, we no longer have work computer(s) as an alternative

I realise that is just what suits me and that your situation is different,
particularly if you rarely use Office programs, but I just thought I’d relay my
experience.

Cheers

Neil