Hi Kaye,

Not sure it is relevant but I often notice my iMac waking from sleep when I
enter the room.

Whilst it is nice to imagine I have such a commanding presence that even
inanimate objects feel compelled to acknowledge my entry, I suspect the reason
is more mundane ;o)

Our old house dates from Victorian times and there is a certain amount of
bounce & movement in the floorboards – I suspect my entry into the room results
in some vibration/movement at the desk which is recognised as a movement of the
mouse sufficient to awake from sleep. However, I have never been sufficiently
interested to try & prove my hypothesis!

If your “problem” was caused by something like this it wouldn’t matter whether
you were close to the modem, but not the iMac, but rather whether your approach
to the modem resulted in some “vibration” over by the mouse.

Of course this is drawing a VERY long bow – and would only even be relevant if
the iMac is just waking up from sleep.

If you have actually totally shut down the iMac and it is doing a complete
bootup from cold – well – do you know any exorcists?

Cheers

Neil