Hi Peter and Neil,

> Bizarre is all I can think of. What brand/model is the modem?

Standard Netcomm modem, straight from Aussie Broadband. The house is brand new
- not even finished, and I not only turn everything off, I have a power
isolating switch on the computer room and that is also switched off when we
aren't there.

We are completely charmed by it - makes a good show if someone else is there
working on the place - we can just wave a hand and the iMac boots up. The modem
isn't so obliging.

I have been known to make (old-fashioned large) printers spew out paper when I
walk up to them - I definitely store a static charge strong enough to affect
electrical devices, but I've never actually turned one on before, and Geoff has
never had static issues.

Cheers, Kaye