Hi Pete,

I don't think you can drive a display from the firewire port - I've never seen
a cable or adaptor that would achieve this.

This guy used a usb video adaptor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=vIVZI1cFiAw&feature=emb_logo
to drive 2 monitors from a 2011 Macbook Pro (that was back in 2011).

His monitor was, I think, DVI but the adaptor also handles HDMI - it's not
cheap though
https://www.amazon.com.au/Diamond-Multimedia-BVU195-2048x1152-1920x1080/dp/B002GHBW4S

OWC have a similar thing https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/VIDU3DVIA/

This article includes other ways involving thunderbolt daisy-chaining
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/62537/can-i-have-multiple-monitors-on-my-macbook-pro-early-2011
 but since that involves either a thunderbolt display or thunderbolt docks, I
don't know if it would be any cheaper.

HTH

Cheers

Neil

On 07/06/20, 18:12, "Peter Crisp"
<wamug.org.au-wamug-boun...@lists.wamug.org.au on behalf of
petercr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

    Hi there, my Wife is to soon be working from home. She has a 2011 MacBook
Pro with SSD and RAM upgrade so it’s reasonably capable. She wants to be able
to use two 24” monitors we have in the office and a bit of a struggle to see
how this can be done.

    The MBP has a FireWire, Thunderbolt and 2 USB ports. I have a Thunderbolt
to HDMI cable so that gives one monitor but varying success with finding
Firewire to HDMI (or VGA) to feed the second monitor. The lads at JB HIFI
didn’t know what Firewire even was!!! They probably hadn’t been born when
Firewire was common place.

    Does anyone have any tips on using the Firewire port for display duties?

    Regards

    Pete
    Settings & Unsubscribe -
<http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>