From: "Lina Dahlan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:56:20
To: <wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [wanita-muslimah] Re: Malaysia Islamic body bans yoga for Muslims

Saya ikut yoga. Gak pernah ada mantera. Memang ada saat diminta kita
untuk konsentrasi, relax dengan memejamkan mata. Saya juga
memanfaatkan saat itu untuk berdzikir. Ini yoga yang udah mengalami
modifikasi kali ye. Instrukturnye juga bukan orang India.

Ya, saya juga menganggap yoga sebagai olah raga ringan. Gak
berkeringat tapi uenak otot2 jadi relax. Ngilu, pegel di otot bisa
hilang. Melatih pernafasan, melatih keseimbangan. Lampunya juga gak
terang benderang. Pokoke gue banget!

Waktu general check up kemaren, dokter nyaranin saya untuk olah raga
yang lebih memacu jantung. Hmmm...jadi tambah deh mo ikutan
threadmill aja. Soale kalo ikutan aerobik, gak sinkron deh antara
kaki dan tangan. Trus..rada malu kalo gerakannya 'hot marihot'
apalagi lampunya terang benderang...:-)). Walaaah demam panggungnye
masih aja tuh! Pokoke bukan gue banget!

"Emang sapa elo!"...ha..ha...sorry ya jadi curhat.

Halo MUI, kalo mau buat fatwa soal ini betul2 bertabayun deh.

wassalam,

--- In wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com, "L.Meilany" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Di Indonesia MUI lagi dalam taraf bertabayun - cek & ricek.
> Sementara itu banyak praktisi yoga yg banyak juga orang Islam
menganggap persoalan ini mengada ada.
> Adnan Buyung Nasution bahkan dalam 'mantra2' yoganya mengganti
dengan menyebutkan istilah islam, berdzikir misalnya.

> Yoga hanya sekedar bagian dari olahraga.
>
> Salam,
> l.meilany
Muslims

>   http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/malaysia-islamic-body-bans-yoga-
for-muslims/2008/11/22/1226770812366.html

>   Malaysia Islamic body bans yoga for Muslims
>
>   Banned . . . Muslims in Malaysia no longer able to practice
yoga, as Islamic council fears elements of Hinduism may be
corrupting.
>   Photo: AP
>
>   November 23, 2008
>
>   Malaysia's top Islamic body on Saturday banned Muslims from
practicing yoga, saying the Indian physical exercise contains
elements of Hinduism that could corrupt Muslims.

>   The National Fatwa Council, which has the authority to rule on
how Muslims must conduct their faith, issued a fatwa, or edict,
saying yoga involves not just physical exercise but also includes
Hindu spiritual elements, chanting and worship.

>   Council chairman Abdul Shukor Husin told reporters that many
Muslims who practice the globally popular yoga failed to understand
that its ultimate aim was to be one with a god of a different
religion.

>   "We are of the view that yoga, which originates from Hinduism,
combines physical exercise, religious elements, chanting and
worshipping for the purpose of achieving inner peace and ultimately
to be one with god," he said.

>   "It is inappropriate. It can destroy the faith of a Muslim," he
said, noting that clerics in Egypt also issued a similar edict in
2004 that called the practice of yoga "an aberration".

>   Decisions by the Fatwa Council in Malaysia are not legally
binding on Muslims, who comprise nearly two-thirds of the country's
27 million people, unless they are enshrined in national or Shariah
laws.

>   However, many Muslims abide by the edicts out of deference, and
the council does have the authority to ostracise an offending Muslim
from society.

>   The fatwa reflects the growing strain of conservatism in
Malaysia, which has always taken pride in its multi-ethnicity. About
25 per cent of Malaysians are ethnic Chinese and eight per cent
ethnic Indians, mostly Hindus.

>   Recently, the council issued an edict banning tomboys, ruling
that girls who act like boys violate the tenets of Islam.

>   The issue of yoga came into the limelight last month when an
Islamic scholar expressed an opinion at a seminar that it was un-
Islamic, prompting the Fatwa Council to step in.

>   Local newspapers have received several letters from Muslims,
expressing indignation at the scholar's view, saying yoga is simply
a way to maintain health and has nothing to do with religion.

>   Putri Rahim, a housewife, expressed shock at the fatwa, saying
she is no less a Muslim after practicing yoga for 10 years.

>   "I am mad! Maybe they have it in mind that Islam is under
threat. To come out with a fatwa is an insult to intelligent
Muslims. It's an insult to my belief," Putri said.

>   "I think it is easier for non-Muslims to live in Malaysia now
than for Muslims," said Putri.

>   She said yoga helped ease the severe back pain she used to
suffer from.

>   There are no figures for how many Muslims practice yoga, but
many yoga classes have a sprinkling of Muslims attending.

>   In a recent blog, social activist Marina Mahathir criticised the
council for even considering a yoga ban, calling it "a classic case
of reacting out of fear and ignorance".

>   "Yoga may have spiritual roots but most of us do it for the
exercise, both for the mind and body," Marina wrote.