Am Montag, 18. September 2006 21:52 schrieb Linas Žvirblis:
> Dennis Schridde wrote:
> >> install-sh ... is that used for anything? If it can be automatically
> >> generated at the user site, then it should be generated, and left out
> >> of the repository. IMHO.
>
> I am not very good at licensing stuff, but it seems that this one is
> nothing to worry about. X11 license is compatible with the GPL, and is
> not actually owned by the warzone project.
>
> Anyway, if it is useless, getting rid of it may be a good idea.
>
> > Ok, so change the license of novideo.rpl to GPL (what it was before
> > anyway, just not stated correctly), change COMPILE* to GPL as well and
> > hope we don't get sued by Rod ;) and don't run ./autogen.sh for release
> > tarballs anymore. (Instead tell the user to do it.)
>
> So I can assume these are licensed under the GPL and treat it as an
> error in documentation, right?
>
> This seems a bit hazy to me, actually. How do you tell a difference
> between a file erroneously documented as proprietary from a proprietary
> file included among GPL'ed files?
Where is this documentation you are refering to?

> As far as I am aware, a license in a COPYING file does _not_ override
> copyright notices included in files themselves. At least that seems to
> be common sense among Debian Devs.
The original license was not given through this COPYING file as far as I know.
Instead Pumpkin put the following (cryptic) readme into the archive.
It is not even clearly stated under what license the data is. (Sourcecode and
data are "as is" and then the sourcecode is explicitly set under the GPL. No
further word about the data.)

Warzone 2100 Source & Data

1) These source and data files are provided as is with no guarantees.

2) No assistance or support will be offered or given.

3) Everything you will require to make a build of the game should be here. If
it isn't, you'll have to improvise(*).

4) None of us here at Pivotal Games are in a position to be able to offer any
help with making this work.

5) This source code is released under the terms of the GNU Public License.
   Please be sure to read the entirety of this license but the summary is that
you're free to do what you want
   with the source subject to making the full source code freely available in
the event of the distribution
   of new binaries.

Finally, the primary motivation for this release is for entertainment and
educational purposes. On the subject of the
latter, don't be surprised to see some pretty gnarly old-school C code in
here; the game was a classic but
large areas of the code aren't pretty; OO design and C++ evangelists beware!
We haven't spent any time
cleaning the code or making if pretty - what you see is what you're getting,
warts n' all.

Thankyou to Jonathan Kemp of Eidos Europe for permitting the release.  Thanks
also to Frank Lamboy for
assistance with the release and for campaigning along with many many others
over the years for the source to be made
available. The correspondence, online petitions and persistence made this
possible. We were constantly amazed at the
community support for Warzone even after all this time; it's nice to be able
to give something back,
assuming you can get it to compile...;-)

6th December 2004
Alex M - ex Pumpkin Studios (Eidos)

(*) Except FMV and music...