On Wednesday, 20 September 2006 at 12:33, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:15:26 -0400 Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, 20 September 2006 at  1:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> If not OK, then what, fork the SP & MP/skirmish so we don't have to
> >> deal with GPL restrictions that make no sense for this game since
> >> everything *should* be covered by GPL, but we can never be 100%
> >> sure, since we can't contact anyone who can tell us?
> >
> >*BINGBINGBING* Wrong. If there is any doubt about the data's license
> >(ie. we are not allowed to redistribute and change it), that will
> >affect both the campaign and multiplayer modes, so there's no sense
> >separating them. If that is the case (and it is highly unlikely,
> >since the intention of the source release was the continued
> >development of the game), we can stop the whole project.
> >
> You sure about that?  The SP game is the only thing that uses video I
> thought?  The video playback is a thorn for GPL, since it uses non GPL
> content.  The rest of the data can be viewed/used with no special
> codecs or anything else that might break GPL.

Oh, you meant just the videos. I thought you were speaking of the whole
data, because you mentioned the uncertainty around it. The video issue
is crystal clear, we cannot redistribute any of those not included in
the source archive (ie. those that are interesting). The format of the
videos doesn't matter, a GPL program can use data that is not GPL (else
you couldn't use GPL programs for commercial purposes). Just the whole
source code has to be GPL (so until someone writes a GPLed
implementation for the RPL video codec, we cannot play them in the GPLed
Warzone).

What I meant was the whole data. If we are not allowed to modify and
distribute that, this project is over (then there is nothing to
resurrect, just to conserve - and who wants the role of a curator?).

--
You will outgrow your usefulness.