On Thursday, 21 September 2006 at 21:20, Linas Žvirblis wrote:

> Christian Ohm wrote:
>
> > No, I don't want to change it. But as there is no generally agreed on
> > definiton of "source" for data files, and most Warzone data files can be
> > edited easily (most are text files, graphics and sound) I'd just define
> > "source" as "the files we got".
>
> The definition of source for data files is actually quite clear. It is a
> preferred way of modifying files, something an author would use to
> generate modified files. For example wav files for sound effects,
> uncompressed videos, etc.

Hm, is that a generally agreed on definition (say, on debian-legal)?

_My_ preferred way to modify a WAV file for example depends on how it
was created. Say you use om-synth for that, then the om patch is what
I'd want to modify, not the resulting WAV file. Similarly with a video:
Created in Blender? Give me the blend file and all resources it needs.
What's the use of having every frame as a PNG? Editing in cinepaint? Now
what if the movie was created with a commercial program like 3D studio?
Then I can't do much without buying the program...

Anyway, if it is "debian-legal save" just to provide the WAVs and PNGs
etc., we should bo good to go, no?

--
Any false value is gonna be fairly boring in Perl, mathematicians
notwithstanding.