----- Original Message -----
  From: The Watermelon
  To: Development list
  Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Warzone-dev] Re: [Warzone-commits] r596
-/trunk/data/mp/stats/weapons.txt

    On IRC we were talking about multiple turrets for commanders.
    There were 2 ideas:

    1. One offensive and one defensive turret. You can control the offensive
one
    and the defensive one tries to defend the commander and therefore marks
    defensive targets. Some it has to be choosen which target a groupmember
wants
    to choose. (Can I better defend my commander or should I rather use his
    offensive recommendation?) Maybe a target can additionally marked
    as "urgent", in cases where the commander droid is like to get destroyed by
    that unit soon.

  I think the groupmember's target acquisition is completely 'take over' by the
commander,all groupmember will always try to choose commander's primary target
'psTarget[0]',and I dont think this can be easily changed...

    2. One ground and one air turret. The attached AA units obey orders from the
    air turret, while the others obey those from the ground turret. This
follows
    the usual rules for target selection. (Use droid-target if possible:
    Commander AA turret can't attack ground units, so it will choose a better
    target. This can then be also attacked by the attached AA units. Same
applies
    for ground turret / ground units.)

    2 is probably easier to implement, while 1 simulates a much higher
inteligency
    of the commander.

    What do you think?
    --Dennis
  same problem as '1',imo the commander in wz is a squad leader rather than a
commander(the human player is the commander),so some primitive artificial
intelligence should be sufficient,e.g:attack/retreat like a wolf pack,and I
always think commander will be alot useful if a commander can 'lead' tons of
weak units like scavenger infantry.

  I'll fiddle with commander a bit after I finish the wzStats converter,'finite
ammo',airfield and navy features...
I don't think it is a good idea to combine different weapon types, like
AA/Arty/Direct weapons on a single unit, unless we offer player a way to assign
targets separately for each turret, which we currently can't (and which is
probably not trivial unit-ai-wise). I'm sure when the multi-turret feature is
released one of the first requests will be such a feature though.

(A bit offtopic)
If we are to implement such a feature I can think of a following
implementation: we enumerate either droid turret slots or turret types:
AA/Direct weapons/Indirect weapons/Service (ie repair turret/construction
turret etc).

If we enumerate turret slots, the player selects units then presses
alt+<number> to select turret slot and then he chooses target for selected
turrets. This way one could put direct weapons on turret slot 1 and AA weapons
on slot 2. Pressing alt+2 would mark AA weapons of the selected units as
selected turret.

In case of weapon type enumeration, _all_ AA weapon slots would be selected
ragardless of their slot index, if player presses alt+<AA_WEAPON_TYPE_INDEX>.

That still doesn't eliminate conflicting situation between different weapons
though. Maybe marking first weapon slot as default one (or the last slot that
was given a new target) would solve it.

Troman