Per Inge Mathisen schreef:
> On 1/7/07, Giel van Schijndel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anyway if nobody objects (yes, read that in your opinion the sound code
>> isn't crappy, no specifics however, so if you object please clarify),
>> I'll create a (temporary(?)) branch somewhere tomorrow (i.e. after 1300
>> CET, cause I won't be available, read awake ;-) , very early before that
>> time) for a reimplementation.
> Are you sure it is less effort (for you) to create and maintain a
> branch, than just work on it in a local tree? Syncing branches is a
> lot of work, and I do not recommend it unless you actually need it,
> say for coordinating several developers. Making a branch for just one
> person to work on, I would find pretty pointless and a waste of time.
Well the problem with a local tree would be that I would only be able to
commit anything but incremental changes without breaking things (i.e.
without breaking the trunk). And reimplementing something seems hardly
an incremental change to me.
>> I'd prefer to do this using C++ (I'll obviously provide a C interface so
>> that linking against the new lib will be possible for C), please also
>> say so when you don't like that idea.
> I do not like that idea at all. Why start adding C++ to the codebase?
> I do not see a technical reason for this, and it makes things more
> complicated to maintain.
C++ provides easier ways of error handling (e.g. exceptions), plus it
natively provides OOP. I am aware that some level of OOP abstracting is
provided in the current warzone codebase since the used technique
however is not native to the language it is harder to maintain.
Especially RAII is rather difficult to implement using C (whereas C++
provides constructors/destructors and operaters new/delete for an easy
implementation of RAII).

And secondly the only thing becoming more difficult to maintain should
be building (i.e. as far as I see). Which I think should be made more
easy by the creation of a C interface and the fact that the this C++
implementation is kept local in a library.

--
Giel