On 3/4/07, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So what do you think should be done?
Leave it as is (was before my commits) and don't try to automate the backtrace
creation? Or offer a way to assist unexperienced users to create a backtrace?
If yes, how?

I don't know. The linux backtrace stuff that is in now is not very
helpful. I think if we could generate a backtrace with gdb and make it
ready to send to us somehow, that would be great. Let me do some very
quick and dirty thinking aloud:

* During ./configure (or whatever) we find the path to gdb and an
email app, and write that into a "wz2100" script that we generate from
a "wz2100.in" template.

* Instead of starting the C binary directly, we run it through the
wz2100 script generated above, which sets ulimit to produce core
dumps, and checks for a core dump already produced, and if there is
one, offers to send an anonymous backtrace from it to some email
address we use for collecting them. It can also grab some system data
to send from various sources (uname? /proc?).

I do not know of a good way to direct core dumps to a specific
location, where we know to find it, or what is a good crossplatform
way of sending email from unix-likes, though. Also we must find a way
for this script to interact nicely if it is started from a GUI menu
instead of from a command-line - I do not know how hard this is, I am
a hardcore command-line junkie and hardly ever use those fancy menu
things.

As I said, this is just some thinking aloud...

 - Per