Am Sonntag, 4. März 2007 schrieb Christian Ohm:
> On Sunday,  4 March 2007 at  0:22, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> > On 3/4/07, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >So what do you think should be done?
> > >Leave it as is (was before my commits) and don't try to automate the
> > >backtrace
> > >creation? Or offer a way to assist unexperienced users to create a
> > >backtrace?
> > >If yes, how?
> >
> > I don't know. The linux backtrace stuff that is in now is not very
> > helpful. I think if we could generate a backtrace with gdb and make it
> > ready to send to us somehow, that would be great. Let me do some very
> > quick and dirty thinking aloud:
> >
> > * During ./configure (or whatever) we find the path to gdb and an
> > email app, and write that into a "wz2100" script that we generate from
> > a "wz2100.in" template.
>
> Why? If gdb is in the path, you don't need the full directory, and if
> it's not, how do you want to find it?
>
> > * Instead of starting the C binary directly, we run it through the
> > wz2100 script generated above, which sets ulimit to produce core
> > dumps, and checks for a core dump already produced, and if there is
> > one, offers to send an anonymous backtrace from it to some email
> > address we use for collecting them. It can also grab some system data
> > to send from various sources (uname? /proc?).
>
> Sounds like the wrapper script I sent a while ago:
> https://mail.gna.org/public/warzone-dev/2007-02/msg00229.html
> That seems like the easiest method, but you can also set up the signal
> handler to run gdb on a crash, see for example
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/mplayer.c?revision=22429&view=markup
> (search for exit_signalhandler, last part of the function). The wrapper
> script seems easier and more flexible, though.
This implementation has one flaw:
snprintf(spid, 19, "%i", getpid());
*printf's behaviour is afaik undefined after receiving a signal.

And they only start gdb, but don't use it to dump anything. That's a start,
but not exactly what we wanted...

> > I do not know of a good way to direct core dumps to a specific
> > location, where we know to find it, or what is a good crossplatform
>
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/core.5.html says: "By default, a
> core dump file is named core, but the /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern file
> (new in Linux 2.5) can be set to define a template that is used to name
> core dump files." But changing that file needs root access, so that's
> not very practical.
>
> > way of sending email from unix-likes, though. Also we must find a way
>
> man mail. If gdb is available, mail should be, as well. If it's not,
> jsut ask the user to send the file himself.
Eg. on my system "mail" is not available, as I said earlier...