On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 05:21:40PM -0600, Zarel wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Dennis Schridde <devuran...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 4. Dezember 2009 21:30:58 schrieb Zarel:
> >> [...] you have to consider
> >> that most people, even if they don't speak English, should know
> >> "Ready?" if they play games online.
> > That is not a valid assumption.
>
> Are you arguing that there is not a single user who understands what
> "Ready?" means, not even English speakers?
>
> Otherwise, it is a valid assumption, since it helps comprehension for
> at least a portion of the userbase, and leaves the rest of the
> userbase no worse off.

This is totally beside the point.  Your love of argument is showing.

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Stephen Swaney <sswa...@centurytel.net> wrote:
> > It is inconsistent with the rest of the interface.  If you are going
> > to put a word there, it should be a translatable string.  Note that
> > the button already has a tooltip which is translated.
> >
> > Also it does not look that good.  The text is very small.
>
> Once we get a readable font at that size/resolution (and I'm planning
> on eventually making one), I'll make it a translatable string. Until
> then, this is better than nothing. Especially if it already has a
> tooltip that can be translated - whoever can't understand the word
> "Ready?" can read the tooltip.

While I agree with your implicit argument that people should speak
English like everyone else, the button does not look better than it
did before.  'Better than nothing' might be a valid argument if there
*was* nothing there before, but we *did* have a usable button with a
(translated) tooltip.  This is simply not better.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswa...@centurytel.net