I have a table cell that sometimes holds a span and sometimes holds a
select list. I was trying a begin/rescue like this;

      begin
        puts "looking for select list"
        @row.cell(:index, 2).select_list(:index, 1)
       rescue Exception => e
         puts "looking for span"
         @row.cell(:index, 2).span(:index, 1)
       end

I get the 'looking for select list' message, but never the 'looking
for span' message. Instead I get

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/watir-1.6.3/lib/watir/element.rb:52:in
`assert_exists': Unable to locate element, using :index, 1

Is there a way to rescue an assert_exists failure?

Andy