1) The column def is part of a larger table def. I would have to
either repeat the column def or the entire table to handle the two
types.
2) Defining multiple columns would make it impossible for me to scan
down that column and choose a row based on a value in that column.
3) Defining multiple tables would lead to an explosion of table defs
and is simply not practical. I would need a separate table def for
every combination of types in different columns.

So its the desire to scan a column for a specific value that drives
this, along with the fact that my columns are defined inside table
objects.