You might need to CLEAR the current selection first.   Possibley what
you are doing is creating a situation where the list has more than one
item selected (I've seen selection lists that allow this, via shift-
click, control-click  etc)  perhaps it doesn't see that as a 'change'
if the original item remains selected.