Watir and firewatir got merged a while back, it ended up as three
gems  commonwatir that had code common to both, and then watir and
firewatir that had code unique to IE or Firefox.

The problem you are having is that when you are installing watir it is
going and getting firewatir since that is required, and it is getting
the latest one, which also then wants the newest commonwatir  What you
need is to get that trio, all in the same version, onto your system
together.

I wonder if it might be worth trying something like one of the more
recent versions of watir such as 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 and see if your
scripts work with that.  Potentially that might be easier.

if not I would remove all watir, firewatir, commonwatir.  Then pull in
the firewatir gem that is the same version as the watir you want to
use

gem install firewatir -v 1.6.2

 That should also pull in that version of commonwatir (I hope) and
then you could install watir 1.6.2 the same way.