On 2013-05-20 23:56, Peter Hutterer wrote:
what I am wondering is whether that difference matters to the outside
observer (i.e. the compositor). a gamepad and a joystick are both gaming
devices and with the exception of the odd need to control the pointer it
doesn't matter much which type they are.

as for a game that would access the device - does it matter if the device is
labelled gamepad or joystick? if it's a gaming device you have to look at
the pysical properties anyway and decide which you use in what matter.

That would seem to unnecessarily complicate things. Let's say you want to do something simple, like display a list of the devices plugged into the computer, with a graphic showing the device type.

If you don't have separate gamepad and joystick types, you would need to use some heuristic to decide whether to show the gamepad or joystick graphic. Really, the device driver should be able to tell us what kind of device it considers itself.

Granted, we can't do that right now, because the kernel doesn't expose device types, which is something that should probably be resolved regardless of what happens with libinputmapper.

In the meantime, we can put the heuristic in libinputmapper, and if the kernel ever grows the ability to expose device types, we can remove the heuristic all together (or maybe demote it to a backup strategy).

-Rick-