>... end of civilization... the automobile... isolated ... the loss of the
>front porch is definitely a contributing factor. ... isolated in our homes
>pretending the folks on the television are our friends....lost the art of
>friendly conversation with our neighbors....Say hey to Goob for me

An even deeper cause: Air conditioning.  Actually, I'm serious about that.
Several scholarly works (sociological, etc) point to the popularity of air
conditioning as a contributing factor to the loss of front porches, people
generally staying inside longer, and therefore to ensuing cultural changes.

Dr. (for real, but not, as my kids say, the kind who can do anybody any good)
Don Good
Oh, and Hey to Goober