To me, one of the most puzzling things in Mayberry is the fact that
throughout the entire 8 years of TAGS and the four seasons of Mayberry RFD,
there is but one lowly gas station to serve all its residents.  Now knowing
that, one would think that Wally, and then Goober, would have a monopoly on
the gas market.  Yet, Goober once said that he pumped 80 gallons a day.
 Now the population of Mayberry fluctuates somewhere between 1200 and 2000
people depending on which episode you believe.  Having a squad car just
like Andy's and knowing my car;s gas tank is approximately 24 gallons which
was stand for full sized cars in the 1960's,  I wonder where everyone in
Mayberry bought their gas.  When you consider the school buses, the Town of
Mayberry vehicles, all the farmers, and delivery trucks that would be used
in a small farming community, it would appear that they must have purchased
their gas somewhere's else.

I grew up in a town of under 500 people and we had four garages that sold
gas and each one was able to provide a good living for the proprietor.  We
had four school buses and I would those alone would use almost 80 gallons a
day.

I realize I posted about this quite some time ago, but with so many new
members all the time I thought I would throw this out again and see if
anyone else has some thoughts or explanations. ( Other than the fact that
made for interesting story lines for the writers of TAGS ).

Sure wish gas was 30 cents a ding now.  My squad car gets about 14 MPG on
the highway and much less in town and during parades so we spend an average
of $200- $300 a month attending parades and car shows.  Wonder if I would
get better mileage if I used some of that high octane moonshine from
Mayberry.

--
Ken Anderson
The Mayberry Guru