Paul, you said that Aunt Bee wasn't related to Barney.  If Barney is Andy's
1st cousin on his mother's side and Aunt Bee is Andy's true aunt then
Barney's mother and Andy's mothers would have been Aunt Bee's sisters and
Aunt Bee would have been Barney's true aunt.  In this case, Opie would also
be Barney's second cousin.  We never had any indication of this type of
closeness so my opinion has always been that Barney was further down the
line, a second or third cousin.  This would make his relationship to Opie
and Aunt Bee a remote one.

dan