As I understand it, Andy said he would never go more than 5 years with Mayberry on tv so Don's agent began lining up projects for his client during that fifth year. When Andy suddenly decided to go ahead and renew for 3 years, Don was already on contract for all those movies so he ws only available for a few single appearances now and then. I can see Andy's lack of enthusiasm at times too and it hurts. I've heard many folks say they don't like the color episodes but consider some of the wonderful messages such as deep friendship in "Only a Rose" or the extreme faith when Howard looks to Heaven when Andy tries to give him kudos about leveling the church; both of these always bring an emotional tear to my eye. Some of my most  favorite episodes are in the color genre besides these two. I just feel sorry for Andy that he couldn't thoroughly enjoy those years due to the absence of his friend. We can take solace tho that they are reunited up above once again and probably keeping everyone around them regaled with laughter!

Aunt Bee of Orlando