> Hi Ben,
>
> > > These days I hide all styles from Netscape, and my sanity
> > > level has risen considerably since I started doing it - then
> > > again, I don't use tables for layout any more either, so
> > > Netscape users still get a logical (albeit plain) layout.
> >
> > Jon, do you mind if I ask what you mean by "hide all styles from
> > Netscape" ?? do you mean you don't reference any CSS if you're
> > displaying in NS4.x?
>
> Spot on.
>
> I am assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) that a
> Netscape 4
> user would rather have an unstyled but useful page - e.g.
> proper use of
> headings, paragraphs, lists etc - than a page that's
> illegible or positioned
> badly or just plain ugly because Netscape can't handle its clever CSS.

May I ask how you hide the CSS from NS?  I'm mainly a back-end developer so
not really that hot on advanced HTML/CSS stuff so forgive me for the
questions!

> > Also, I'm still using tables for layout and I don't really have
> > any issues. I presume you're using CSS and absolute-positioning?
>
> Yup, but I can get away with it - I know exactly which
> browsers are in use
> on my systems (don't forget I do internal apps, not public websites)

ahh, yeah... same here.  intranets and bespoke web apps - where the client
always has IE5+ - makes life a lot easier but doesn't prepare you very well
for the real world!

> I use it for the purely selfish reason that it's easier for
> me to maintain
> than a bunch of nested tables :-)

I've been using tables so long I don't even think about it anymore :)

> > is this commonplace now?
>
> I very much doubt it, just because it's not as "safe" as tables. Even
> amongst those who have made the change from tables to CSS,
> I'd still expect
> the majority to be bloggers, web design studios, and similar techies.
>
> The only high-profile CSS-P site I can think of off the top
> of my head is
> www.wired.com - Lycos stopped using tables a little while
> back, but it seems
> to me that all they did was a search and replace from <td> to
>
> Cheers
> Jon

Many thanks for your time Jon.

 .ben