A fine example of the question of why standards. On the one hand the page
renders in Opera, Mozilla and IE. But the code is a mess: no opening <html>
but 2 </html> tags, spans which close but never open. Deprecated <font> and
<b> all over the place. Table elements with a wide array of varying
attributes. No indication of units of measure. Probably unreadable on
anything other than a pc. It loads slowly. Pretty much all the criticisms of
table as layout. But Quirks mode overlooks all the faults and heaves it up
on the screen.

On the other hand, if you want to make changes, the changes have to be
wholesale. This nested little nugget would have to be rebuilt from scratch.
A CSS design version would make future segmental changes far less painful.
And CSS would bring some order and logic to the chaos of nesting. But you
know all this.

One appearance issue. The extra left borders on sub pages don't seem to add
much. And the colors aren't always "comfortable" together.

So it's a complete redesign or just leave it be. Leave the code untouched
until or if browsers actually stop rendering deprecated tags. Or redo it
completely and properly. I don't think it's worth your time to try to tweak
it.

drew