On February 24, 2003 at 18:22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ..............Landoverbaptist.org is a well known
> site full of racial bigotry and religious intolerance.  It is
> irresponsible to promote such a site...........

I hardly think he was promoting it, merely showing us how parodies can be taken
to such an extreme that they start to not become parodies anymore (he said it
was *wicked* right up front, complete with examples). The landoverbaptist site is
definitely extreme, I didn't even get to the examples that BJ explicitly pointed out,
obviously to warn anyone so they never actually had to visit the site like I did to
get the idea.

rudy's (funny/barely legal) example http://www.davezilla.com/index.php?p=1641
falls somewhere between Joseph's ( IMHO - funny/but not legal) parody that may
even amuse Amazon; and BJ's (wicked/but legal) -  site which definitely won't
amuse certain groups. Sounds like we are starting to get a cross section look at
the whole issue of parody sites, which to a thinking person can't be a bad thing
and alternate thinking is what makes list-serves rock.

Seriously, give BJ a bit of slack here. Except for a couple really smart under-18
semi-lurkers that throw up a good post/code-example now and then when
needed, we're all adults and able to decide for ourselves what our limits are.

And it definitely is a good thing for Joseph. AFAIK he values the opinions of
*everyone* - think about his posts and replies for the time he's been on this list. I
think for anyone, when you are creating a parody of something like Amazon it's
good to know what kind of prior art is out there.

That's the rub in this post as well though Joseph. You *are* selling something on
that web page right? That makes it a commercial entity and puts you in the
doghouse (IMHO/I am not a Lawyer but got a good one on retainer and no you
can't have him). In other words, even if it is a parody of Amazon, if you are
realizing a tangible $ benefit (or even the future promise of such from that page),
you are using Amazon's prior art to reap your profits and I think they would have
a case against you (as long as something is actually for sale on that page).

I really like the page though!

Regards,

                Mark Groen

MG Web Services