I'm coming into this discussion late, but I think I have some arguments
that might benefit.

I don't understand why you should blur faces for protection.  Unless the
face in the pictures is large and looking dead on, there is not much the
perverts out there could do with it.

As far as legalities go, according to the law in the United States, if
photographs or video are taken in a public place and you are not using
them for commercial profit, you do not run any legal risks of being sued
successfully.  I got the following off the internet:

"The basic rules are:

"Taking a picture in a public place is generally always legal. But if
that place is part of a secured emergency area like a police crime scene
line or fire or a riot, you may get arrested for being where you
shouldn't whether you're taking pictures or not. And not all street cops
know the law, so you may wind up getting arrested anyway (it happens to
news photographers who ARE acting legally about once a month in the US).

 "If you are not using the picture to promote something (i.e. commercial
use - advertisement, service, etc.) you can 'publish' a picture taken in
a public place without permission (e.g. a release). Publishing includes
the Web (my paper has a web site and runs some of the same pictures that
run in the newspaper.) Certainly 'editorial' use - reporting on the
state of the world - is generally protected. And editorial use can be
extended to cover street photography (a la HCB, Winograd, Erwitt, et al)
even if the 'event' being reported about is just a gesture or expression
or moment.

"Caveats: If, in publishing the picture, you imply something about the
person (as in a headline or caption) that is possibly defamatory or even
just untrue, you may be liable for libel, but a model release may not
help in that case anyway. The New York Times (or their Sunday magazine)
got sued for running an anonymous but recognizable telephoto street shot
of a black man in executive clothing with a story about token blacks on
Wall Street, and lost. Because the implication was that THIS man was a
token black on Wall Street.

"Also, the cover of a publication (and by extension, possibly the splash
page of a web site) has been considered commercial use in some cases
because it 'promotes' the magazine on news stands - in effect it's an
advertisement for what's inside the magazine. It is also possible that a
'portfolio' web site for a photographer intended to bring in business
may count as 'commercial' usage, since it is 'advertising' for the
photographer. In theory even putting a picture in your print portfolio
could be considered 'advertising' for your services if you show it to
potential clients - if some court decides to rule that showing it
constitutes 'publication'.

"Also, there is still some question about 'fine art' usage, if, for
example, you are selling prints of the picture for profit. Is that
'commercial' use? My paper sells reprints of pictures to the public
(those that have already run in the newspaper) as do other papers/
publications, and I've never heard of such use requiring releases beyond
what was required to publish the picture in the first place.

"Final blanket caveat: the law is always being tweaked by rulings on new
cases, new definitions, new technology (eg, the Web). So what is
generally considered legal or illegal (or liable for civil action) may
not be next week. Even more finally, you can always be sued for almost
any reason if someone wants to, even if the law eventually proves to be
in your favor."

(excerpt from:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002kze )

Also see: http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ip951121.html