-----Original Message-----
From: jmwcruiser

I would like to bring this conversation back to the basic design process.
How do you begin the design process? Regardless of technically how the page
is laid out, you have to start putting the pieces (images, navigation, copy,
etc) on the page. I am trying to get away from choppy look I see so often (
in my own site and in others) and go with a more fluid design. The best
resource I have found is:
http://www.newark1.com/index.htm

I really like their designs and the site has a number of articles on good
web design.

So I am trying to think more like *newark.*

When working with a small budget site, images are often hard to come by.
Most of my customers are not design-focused so it doesn't make any
difference to them-- but I would like to make my sites more
artistic/elegant/not sure of the right word--but I know it when I see it!

I was just looking for a book or other resource that had samples of
well-designed/artistic (but very functional) sites to give me lots of ideas
that would spur my own creativity.